Friday, December 9, 2011

BBQ Night: Ribs and Cornbread

Just because you're pressed for time with finals and term papers doesn't mean you can't keep eating good.  My newest obsession is my crock pot, and I've been trying out any recipe I can.  This is my favorite so far, and it went over really well with my roommates, who, like me, needed a reprieve from long study hours.  This simple recipe is sure to satisfy!


I am a huge barbecue fan, so it has to be done right for me to love it (not like I wouldn't eat it anyway).  But here is my take on a Southern BBQ classic: ribs and cornbread.

You will need:

5-10 lbs Pork ribs
dry rub spices (I used chili powder, cayenne, and brown sugar)
1 bottle barbecue sauce (my favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 bottle (or more) Jack Daniel's or whiskey of your choice
1 box cornbread mix (can't go wrong with Jiffy)
1 egg
1 can creamed corn
1 stick butter, melted

Also:
Crock Pot (2-5 qt size is ideal)
Bread pan or shallow casserole dish

Cook time: 8 hrs

The first step is to prep the ribs- you'll want to cover them in a liberal coat of your dry rub mix.  This a great recipe to "set and forget" so it cooks while you are out at class, campus events, or liquor store trips.  Plug in your crock pot and set it to "low" heat.  Toss in your ribs (you may have to chop them up to fit).  Pour in your barbecue sauce.  Don't worry about covering all the meat, the cooking process will spread out the sauce as it heats it to a more liquid state.  Add about a cup of whiskey - or more if you like it a bit strong.  You're doing a great job, might as well reward yourself with a shot!  Or two.  Cover your crock pot and you're good to go!  Grab your books and laptop and head to the library for a hardcore cramming session.  In 6-8 hours your ribs will be done.  (for a cook time of 4-6 hours, use "high" heat setting on crock pot)

Plan to start the cornbread a little over an hour before you want to eat.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Combine cornbread mix, butter, creamed corn, and egg in your dish.  Beat until completely mixed. Once done, put it in the oven for an hour.

Voila! you now have a full barbecue dish to enjoy and (hopefully) some Jack Daniel's left to go with it as well.

I really had a good time trying this out, and love the results from the crock pot! The meat really falls of the bone, and practically melts in your mouth.  For a great pulled pork sandwich, simply use this recipe with pork shoulder instead of ribs.  This opens the door for pulled pork nachos (stay tuned for that post).

The cornbread came out really good as well- it is more of a cornbread pudding, with a moist, cakey texture but still solid enough to stay together.  This is the recipe my mom has been using for years, so it was good to get a little taste of home when the semester is at its hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment